[GE users] web interface to "qstat -xml" -- any java folk able to lend a hand? (need a cocoon generator for qstat)

Joe Landman landman at scalableinformatics.com
Fri Nov 11 02:02:56 GMT 2005

Hmmm:

[use the right Perl modules Luke...  XML::Smart in this case ]

   Our 6.0u6 perl based parser fits into a single line, after we grab
the data.

	$qstat=`/opt/gridengine/bin/lx24-amd64/qstat -xml`;
	$xml    = XML::Smart->new($qstat);

(no schema/DTD needed)

then for example, iterating over all the jobs  ...

	foreach ($xml->{job_info}->{queue_info}->{job_list}('@') )
	  {
	  }

We are doing this with HTML::Mason (http://www.masonhq.com) so we have
Perl interspersed with the HTML.  If you would like to see this code,
please fire me a note.   We are using this as a way to generate a table
of all jobs in flight, in queue, and calculate for every job in flight
how much time it has spent computing.  With a little extra effort, we
can get process memory and other utilization, but our customers haven't
asked us for this.

So far it is working nicely on a system with 144 cores and well over 800
jobs queued and 140 in flight, with a 5 second refresh.   This system
showed the need for pagination which I haven't done (yet), but ...

If you need to use the Java bits due to your coding requirements, you
would need to use the other bits as indicated.  I am sure they work well.

Joe

Chris Dagdigian wrote:

> I've junked most of the perl CGIs and scripts responsible for
> collecting and transforming SGE XML and have started re-developing  the
> little "xml-qstat" interface under the Apache Cocoon XML  publishing
> framework.
>
> A work in progress demo is here:
>
> http://dcore-amd.sonsorol.net:8888/xmlqstat/qstat.html
>
> The output format above is biased towards the "show me everything"  side
> which works for small clusters. XML is dynamically collected  from SGE
> at periodic intervals via an external caching daemon.
>
> For very large and active clusters where the "show me everything"  model
> breaks down ( or breaks browsers! ) I've started work on some  "terse"
> XSL stylesheets. The effect of the "terse" stylesheet as  applied to
> canned XML taken from a largish cluster can be seen here:
>
> http://dcore-amd.sonsorol.net:8888/xmlqstat/demo/qstat-terse.html
>
> The reason for this email is that I need to start work on the more
> dynamic stuff -- for instance the ability to click on a SGE JobID and
> have rendered output from a dynamic "qstat -j <jobID>" call appear
> within a DHTML DIV element.
>
> The "proper" way to do this within Apache Cocoon would be to write a
> java "Cocoon Generator" capable of calling out to  "qstat -xml" and
> bringing the resulting XML directly into a Cocoon XML object for
> transformation and XHTML serialization.
>
> But ...
>
> I'm a perl geek, not a java software engineer. I have absolutely no
> idea how to go about writing a qstat XML generator for Apache Cocoon.
> I'm pretty sure its not all that hard to do but I'm just not capable  of
> getting my head around the problem.
>
> If I can't figure out the pure-java-Cocoon methods I'm just going to
> write some tiny perl CGI's and have Cocoon fetch the dynamic XML via
> http operations which is not as efficient (or elegant!) The perl  stuff
> I can spin out easily but I'd rather this be a 100% Cocoon  package if I
> can manage it.
>
> Anyone willing to help me out with this? The xml-qstat stuff is open
> source under a creative commons license. The Cocoon Generator  approach
> will make the resulting package far easier to setup and  distribute
> since external CGIs for XML data fetching won't be needed.
>

> -Chris

Joseph Landman, Ph.D
Founder and CEO
Scalable Informatics LLC,