[GE users] qsub/qstat/qacct information sequencing

David Pinsky 288-3739 dep at ftc.agilent.com
Fri Nov 11 18:24:29 GMT 2005

Is it guaranteed that, once qsub reports the job number for a submitted job
request, that qstat can report that job info?  (Is there ever a case where
qsub can report a submitted job number, but the information that qstat reads
and reports is not yet available, causing qstat to report "Following jobs do
not exist: XXX")

Can I count on the accounting information for a completed
job having been written by the time that the job information
is no longer available to qstat?

Note that I am not asking about NFS latency or other elements outside the
scope of SGE itself, just the flow sequence in how SGE provides info.

The (pseudo-code) sequence I am trying to work with is:

jobno = qsub cmd
qstat -j $jobno
when [qstat reports "Following jobs do not exist: $jobno"]
  qacct -j $jobno

Again, ignoring latency in the updating of the .../common/accounting file
on disk, is this sequence legitimate based on the order in which
sge handles the actions between submit, status report, accounting.

I am only now getting familiar with the drmaa api, which seems like
it might be a more robust approach to this problem.  However,
my above approach worked fine in 5.3, but sporadically reports
incorrectly in 6.0u3, qacct reports 'job id XXX not found' *after*
qstat reports 'Following jobs do not exist...', but a second
qacct does find and report on jobno.

David

David Pinsky                                    david_pinsky at agilent.com
Agilent Technologies, ISD                       970-288-3739
4380 Ziegler Road                               970-288-6580 (fax)
Fort Collins, CO  80525-9790                    Mailstop 72