[GE users] distributed X applications

Reuti reuti at staff.uni-marburg.de
Mon Nov 14 23:56:25 GMT 2005

Hi Paul,

Am 14.11.2005 um 15:12 schrieb P.A.Osborne:

> Hi,
>
> At this site we are pondering how best to utilise a small cluster
> of machines using SGE 6.
>
> At the moment the cluster is up and running and distributing long
> running jobs quite happily.
>
> Since the platform (Sol 9 x86) is non compatible with most of the
> rest of our kit (Sol 9 sparc) as in binary compatibility, I figured
> it could be handy to offload some of the "free X software" that we
> run to the cluster (such as Firefox and OpenOffice) as these can
> utilise a lot of resources when lots of copies are running on
> the same host.
>
> However even though I have upped the number of slots on a couple
> of the nodes (to 10 for testing) and can use these for running
> batch jobs and qrsh jobs manually.  When I run the following
> as a script:
>
> #!/bin/sh
> SGE_ROOT=/gridware/sge
> export SGE_ROOT
> /gridware/sge/bin/sol-x86/qsh  -S /opt/csw/bin/firefox
>
> I can still launch only as many copies as there are CPUs available
> to the cluster, rather than as many copies as there are slots
> provided by the cluster.

can you please post the queue definition and maybe one exec host
definition (if you have adjusted it) and number of total nodes. Is
"qstat -g c" giving you reasonable results? Are you requesting any
memory or other consumables by default, which are limited per node?
Are you testing all from one workstation, and might there be a limit
of X11 sessions?

Cheers - Reuti