[GE users] qsub/qstat/qacct information sequencing

Andreas Haas Andreas.Haas at Sun.COM
Tue Nov 15 10:24:26 GMT 2005

On Tue, 15 Nov 2005, Reuti wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Am 14.11.2005 um 18:31 schrieb Daniel Templeton:
>
> > Well, if we can clearly define a simple fix that is generally
> > agreed to
> > be useful, we might be able to slip it into u8.  In any case I will
> > submit an RFE for it.  What behavior did you have in mind?
>
> which range is allowed as error code? Could it be just the negative
> job number as error code (so <= 0 means success)? - Reuti

Won't work. Exit(2) return codes are in the range 0-255. Negative numbers
actually do not exist. You can try writing a program/script that returns
codes beyond that range or see what POSIX is telling about exit(2):

"The value of status may be 0, EXIT_SUCCESS, EXIT_FAILURE, or any other
value, though only the least significant 8 bits (that is, status & 0377)
shall be available to a waiting parent process."

http://www.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/009695399/functions/_Exit.html

Regards,
Andreas