[GE users] qresub as other user

Andreas Haas Andreas.Haas at Sun.COM
Wed Nov 16 15:23:16 GMT 2005

On Wed, 16 Nov 2005, Sebastian Stark wrote:

> On Wednesday 16 November 2005 15:02, Andy Schwierskott wrote:
> > It could be interesting in some cases that an admin can qresub a job on
> > behalf of another users, but that really could open a can of worms.
>
> I would expect qresub (as an admin) to do the same as the rerun mechanism
> does. If I want to relocate a users job from one machine to some other
> machine I can simply reboot it and it will start somewhere else, given that
> the rerun flag is set.
>
> But of course I don't know the implementation details so I cannot really argue
> with that...

For that case qmod -r <jobid> exists.

> Another case where I think qresub as an admin can be useful is the following:
>
>   - User submits job
>   - Job runs, errors out because of some problem
>   - Admin fixes problem
>   - Admin qresubs other users jobs

There is a job error and a queue error for error conditions. Job
error is for cases when the end user made a failure that must be
fixed before rerun is possible. The queue error is for problem with
set-up problems which can be fixed by admins only.

> The current behavior of qresub is, at least for me, the most unexpected one.

Well, the reason to introduce qresub was to have a means to submit a job
which is absolutely identical with an already existing job. IIRC we didn't
have the exit 99 reschedule at that point in time.

Regards,
Andreas