[GE users] qresub as other user

Andreas Haas Andreas.Haas at Sun.COM
Wed Nov 16 18:34:35 GMT 2005

On Wed, 16 Nov 2005, Sebastian Stark wrote:

> > (2) it is the admins fault if the directory should exist though but it
> >     wasn't mounted.
>
> > Question is simply how should Grid Engine know whether that directory
> > should have been available? Not even use of -cwd option can be used as
> > reasonable indication.
> >
> > Though Grid Engine could treat this always as queue error, but then
> > any ordinary user could activate queue error state for the entire
> > cluster simply by misusing -cwd option ...
>
> I clearly see this as a user error. A user should always check if a directory
> is writable before he's actually trying to put stuff into it. Especially if
> it is a program that will be run at an unpredictable time in the future.

Ok.

> So I think Grid Engine is doing exactly the right thing here. (besides mailing
> me hundreds of error messages...)

I guess this is admin mail? If you believe sending those mails is
unreasonable please let us know. One can argue admin mails generally
shouldn't be sent when jobs go into error state as this problem actually
needs not to be of interest for an admin. IIRC the reason for those error
mails being sent to the admin was that the 'trace' file is sent only with
admin mails. The second reason was users might submit jobs without -m/-M
option and then possibly nobody knows the reason of a job failure ...

Well, actually since 6.0 it should be possible to send fewer admin mail
due to

   # qstat -j <jobid> | grep error

actually nicely reporting job error reasons. Btw. I just updated

   http://gridengine.sunsource.net/howto/troubleshooting.html

to reflect the means query of job/queue error reasons.

Regards,
Andreas