[GE users] PATH problems with grid engine 6

Reuti reuti at staff.uni-marburg.de
Thu Nov 17 19:22:42 GMT 2005

Am 17.11.2005 um 19:33 schrieb Brady Catherman:

> When we run scripts on our cluster SGE seems to screw up our local
> paths. We have programs in tons of different places and would
> prefer to not have locations hard coded.
>
> Hers is what I have tried:
> 	Using unix_behavior with /bin/csh, /bin/tcsh and /bin/bash, /bin/
> bash --login
> 	Using posix_compliant with the same shells.
> 	Using unix_behavior with a custom shell that sources /etc/profile.
>
> None of these seem to actually do anything though. The path is
> always "/tmp/492.1.all.q:/usr/local/bin:/usr/ucb:/bin:/usr/bin:"

this is the default PATH for the jobs executed by SGE. To get your
custom PATH: where is it set by default: in /etc/profile.local,
your .bashrc, .bash_profile, .bash_login, .profile? If we know this,
we could simply source this. And this could be done in a
starter_method defined for the queues, so that the scripts stay
untouched.

http://gridengine.sunsource.net/servlets/ReadMsg?
listName=users&msgNo=8503

but using only one file at a time or a loop. I wonder, why "bin/bash
--login" isn't working in your case.

Cheers - Reuti

> I had seen several solutions but they are always on the clients
> side of things. I would prefer to not have to force our clients to
> add stuff to scripts in order to get things working.
>
> Anybody know of a solution?

Philipps-University of Marburg
AK Frenking / FB Chemie
Thomas Reuter