[GE users] Best cluster management software and OS

Nick I clusterbuilder at gmail.com
Fri Nov 18 18:32:52 GMT 2005

At www.clusterbuilder.org/FAQ <http://www.clusterbuilder.org/FAQ> there is a
question about what OS and cluster management software are the best for a
cluster system. Does anyone have any advice and opinions on the best OS and
cluster management software for this type of setup? I am trying to build a
knowledgebase of different opinions on software.

Here is the question:

"I'm bulding a project for a cluster that consists on 64 machines running
each 2x Dual Core AMD Opteron with 2GB of memory per core (8GB per machine).
We already have everything else accounted for except for the software. We
have serious doubts on what would be best for the OS and the cluster
management software. The OS has to be open source. Please give me some
advice on what you think you be the best performance solution for it. It
doesn''t matter if it's not free. "

Thanks,
Nick