[GE users] Best cluster management software and OS

V01D phreakuencies at gmail.com
Fri Nov 18 19:08:01 GMT 2005

Nick I wrote:
> Hi,
> At www.clusterbuilder.org/FAQ <http://www.clusterbuilder.org/FAQ> there
> is a question about what OS and cluster management software are the best
> for a cluster system.  Does anyone have any advice and opinions on the
> best OS and cluster management software for this type of setup? I am
> trying to build a knowledgebase of different opinions on software.
>
> Here is the question:
>
> "I'm bulding a project for a cluster that consists on 64 machines
> running each 2x Dual Core AMD Opteron with 2GB of memory per core (8GB
> per machine). We already have everything else accounted for except for
> the software. We have serious doubts on what would be best for the OS
> and the cluster management software. The OS has to be open source.
> Please give me some advice on what you think you be the best performance
> solution for it. It doesn''t matter if it's not free. "
>
> Thanks,
> Nick

Hi,
I myself don't feel confortable with RedHat style distributions because
they tend to get in the way when you know what you exactly wan't to do
but you don't know the RedHat way of doing it (I have experience with
Rocks and I don't see any open non-RedHat oriented distro out there).
Because of this I thought a while on making a Slackware based cluster
which is a distro, IMHO, pretty straightforward in how to touch things.
Because of this I started Slackster (slackster.ig3.net). I didn't
answered this on the URL you posted because Slackster is still not ready
  (but it might some day).

Just my view on this,
HTH