[GE users] Best cluster management software and OS

Brian Smith brian at cypher.acomp.usf.edu
Fri Nov 18 19:21:56 GMT 2005

Not entirely sure what V01D is referring to with the RedHat based
distributions, but for a free, enterprise-level OS, CentOS 4 has been
our platform of choice for all of our compute clusters.  Having anaconda
and kickstart w/PXE is a dream-come-true for setting up nodes and the
administration is trivial.  Performance is on par with that of any other
Linux distribution out there and with the exception of our Myrinet
clusters, the stock kernels provide a very acceptable level of support
(For myrinet, I have found that generally, it is better to use Vanilla
kernels).

Keeping the machines patched is accomplished with yum.  This is a
blessing in and of itself.

I don't know how exactly RedHat "gets in the way", but it has done an
excellent job for the last couple of years in our production
environment.

And no, I don't want to start a flame war over Linux distro's, just
sharing a more optimistic experience than the previous poster.

-Brian Smith