[GE users] Best cluster management software and OS

V01D phreakuencies at gmail.com
Fri Nov 18 19:45:29 GMT 2005

DGS wrote:
>>I myself don't feel confortable with RedHat style distributions because
>>they tend to get in the way when you know what you exactly wan't to do
>>but you don't know the RedHat way of doing it (I have experience with
>>Rocks and I don't see any open non-RedHat oriented distro out there).
>>Because of this I thought a while on making a Slackware based cluster
>>which is a distro, IMHO, pretty straightforward in how to touch things.
>>Because of this I started Slackster (slackster.ig3.net). I didn't
>>answered this on the URL you posted because Slackster is still not ready
>> (but it might some day).
>

> I've built Slackware-based clusters using 'systemimager' to
> provision the nodes, and 'swaret' for package management.
> No excitement to report.  Everything worked fine.  You can
> also use 'kickstart' on Slackware (http://www.slack-kickstart.org),
> though I don't have any experience with it.
>
> David S.
>

>>Just my view on this,
>>HTH

Mi idea is to have something working in the same way as Rocks does, that
is why I talked about a distro and not just about a set of tools.
And yes, I actually use slack-kickstart to install nodes like Rocks does.

BTW, I didn't meant any flame war either. Just talking from my viewpoint
on my experience with Rocks.

Matt