[GE users] Best cluster management software and OS

Brady Catherman bradyc at uidaho.edu
Fri Nov 18 20:19:38 GMT 2005

We are thinking of converting our cluster from RedHat AS 4.0 to
Gentoo because of the performance and portage possibilities. This is
still very tentative but the simplicity of software installation and
the support from places like the Gentoo-Clusters and Gentoo-Science
teams is very impressive.

Everyday tools like PDSH show up in the portage tree. Its nice to
find a utility that you can't live without just by reading a change
log =)

(Speaking of, how many people here actually use PDSH? It seems like
the best kept secret in the cluster world.)

pdsh -a reboot # Reboot the whole cluster