[GE users] Best cluster management software and OS

Brady Catherman bradyc at uidaho.edu
Sat Nov 19 06:17:17 GMT 2005

Hitting y is your problem =) What do you think SUSE does? It just
renames the file <filename>.rpmsave and moves on with life. Often
this means that you end up missing features or changes required for
that update to work. One nice thing about etc-update is that it will
merge almost all trivial changes to config files for you as long as
you don't completely change the format of the file. Aka, the less
diff spits back out the more likely you are to have trivial things
like comments merged back in without your involvement.

Don't get me wrong. I am a firm believer in "whatever works best for
you". I just hate when software gets a bad rap for old problems that
haven't existed for years. Same reason why I hate when people rail on
RPM's for being dependancy hell and stuff like that. A decent package
manager means that RPM is easy and smooth. 'yum install xyz' is in no
way dependancy hell.