[GE users] Best cluster management software and OS

Brady Catherman bradyc at uidaho.edu
Sat Nov 19 23:14:19 GMT 2005

Very well said =) Im sorry for dragging the thread down there.

Remember though. When building a cluster. Do not, I repeat, do NOT
rely on a single person for all of your answers. I have seen a good
half a dozen clusters built completely wrong because the person
offering advice was either used to a single type of cluster, or in
the "throw money at the problem" mind set.

If your programs require heavy communication/file access avoid a NFS
mounted root. You only burden your network with more load. If you are
running jobs like Paup, that run for weeks and don't do communication
or heavy file access then NFS root is an awesome solution.

If you are running zero communication jobs you might want to look
into Condor or other "use existing hardware" solutions. If you decide
that a cluster is still in your best interest go with a 100M switch..
They are cheap and you won't tell the difference..

Cluster in a box solutions often leave much to be desired and tend to
miss the mark when it comes to applications you want to run. (Thats
not to say that they don't work at all, often if you only run BLAST
then a BLAST oriented cluster in a box solution is a great idea!)

I think there is only one thing that is consistent for every single
cluster out there. Do not let it overheat. Spend money on a good AC
system and make sure you watch the temps.

Anyways, look for a good solution to YOUR cluster needs. (I think
this is one of the reasons why I love clusters so much is that there
is so much room for creativity in design and such. And throwing
hardware at the problem often just makes the problem worse =)