[GE users] Best cluster management software and OS

Sebastian Stark stark at tuebingen.mpg.de
Mon Nov 21 09:09:56 GMT 2005

On Sunday 20 November 2005 00:14, Brady Catherman wrote:
> Very well said =) Im sorry for dragging the thread down there.
>
> Remember though. When building a cluster. Do not, I repeat, do NOT
> rely on a single person for all of your answers. I have seen a good
> half a dozen clusters built completely wrong because the person
> offering advice was either used to a single type of cluster, or in
> the "throw money at the problem" mind set.

Right. I really did not intend to advise people this was the best solution for
all imaginable cases.

> If your programs require heavy communication/file access avoid a NFS
> mounted root. You only burden your network with more load. If you are
> running jobs like Paup, that run for weeks and don't do communication
> or heavy file access then NFS root is an awesome solution.

I forgot to mention we use striped swap and /tmp filesytems on fast local
disks. Users write their programs such that huge datasets they need to work
with are copied to /tmp first and copied back when the job finished. So most
of the time the NFS mounted root does not produce too much network traffic.
Home directories are located on a different server anyway. (Now if there was
a good self-organising peer-to-peer filesystem available...)

This went completely off-topic and I'm sorry for this...

-Sebastian

--
Sebastian Stark -- http://www.kyb.tuebingen.mpg.de/~stark
Max Planck Institute for Biological Cybernetics