[GE users] Best cluster management software and OS

Joe Landman landman at scalableinformatics.com
Mon Nov 21 15:43:55 GMT 2005

We have a very nice cluster top command running atop pdsh that we
created a while ago that we deliver on our customers clusters.  It is
definitely one of the nicer tools out there.  Couple this with a few
others and you have a really neat system.

Joe

John G Layne/laynejg/O/VCU wrote:
> hye,
>        Just wanted to add my two cents about pdsh & CentOS.  pdsh has
> become absolutely indispensable on our cluster, it's unbelievably handy
> and nice.  I even write a lot of Perl & C wrappers using pdsh to do
> things.  I highly recommend cluster admins look into it.  I tried a
> couple of other similar packages & they just didn't click with me, but
> of course, you should experiment to see what you like & what works for
> you.  This is something I have to continually get used to, nothing is
> really "set", you create your cluster as you go along to suit your need;
> this is incredibly powerful.
>       As for CentOS 4, we've been using it for a couple of months now
> and it's boringly reliable, thank goodness!  We use SGE N1 for jobs
> control and the combination of all of the above seems to be working
> really well, it's down now to really tailoring exactly how many & what
> sort of jobs we want running on the cluster, that sort of thing, and
> writing little custom utilities to help that wrap around pdsh, qsub,
> qdel, etc. is really very nice.  Good luck with your cluster, and have fun!
>      johnny

Joseph Landman, Ph.D
Founder and CEO
Scalable Informatics LLC,