[GE users] Configure Queues with different priorities

Sebastian ChiefShadow at gmx.de
Mon Nov 28 12:51:11 GMT 2005

Hello,

thx, this works fine.
But now i have more question.

1. The Priority-Value which can be modified in the queues, is this the
runtime priority of the job in the system when he is executed or is this
priority SGE-internal?
2. When i make subordinated queues, like these:
   highste Queue "high": Subordinated Queues: "normal" and "low"
   normale Queue "normal": Subordinated Queue: "low"
   lowest Queue "low": non subordinated Queue

If a user requests resources in the queue "high", is there always a job in
the queue "normal" or "low" suspended or can i tell him, that only the next
job should start in the highest queue.

Because our CAE-Software doesn't support suspension this wouldn't be such
nice. :D

I found some topics in the mailing list which has this topic, too.

There sometimes user wrote they should change her "Sequence Number" for the
queues and say the scheduler it should "sort by sequence number".

If i do following configuration:

Queue "high": Sequence Number 0, no subordinated queues.
Queue "normal": Sequence Number 1, no subordinated queues.
Queue "low": Sequence Number 2, no subordinated queues.

If there is a job in "high" and in "low", but the low job was submitted by
the user first, is the "high"-queue-job submitted before the "low"-queue-job
is submitted because of the sequence number?

3. When i have more queues and i use a PE for booting LAM/MPI, must i make
for every queue a own PE?

Thx, Kind Regards, Sebastian

Highspeed-Freiheit. Bei GMX supergünstig, z.B. GMX DSL_Cityflat,
DSL-Flatrate für nur 4,99 Euro/Monat*  http://www.gmx.net/de/go/dsl