[GE users] Configure Queues with different priorities

Stephan Grell - Sun Germany - SSG - Software Engineer stephan.grell at Sun.COM
Mon Nov 28 14:31:06 GMT 2005

Sebastian wrote On 11/28/05 13:51,:

>Hello,
>
>thx, this works fine.
>But now i have more question.
>
>1. The Priority-Value which can be modified in the queues, is this the
>runtime priority of the job in the system when he is executed or is this
>priority SGE-internal?
>2. When i make subordinated queues, like these:
>   highste Queue "high": Subordinated Queues: "normal" and "low"
>   normale Queue "normal": Subordinated Queue: "low"
>   lowest Queue "low": non subordinated Queue
>
>If a user requests resources in the queue "high", is there always a job in
>the queue "normal" or "low" suspended or can i tell him, that only the next
>job should start in the highest queue.
>
>Because our CAE-Software doesn't support suspension this wouldn't be such
>nice. :D
>
>I found some topics in the mailing list which has this topic, too.
>
>There sometimes user wrote they should change her "Sequence Number" for the
>queues and say the scheduler it should "sort by sequence number".
>
>If i do following configuration:
>
>Queue "high": Sequence Number 0, no subordinated queues.
>Queue "normal": Sequence Number 1, no subordinated queues.
>Queue "low": Sequence Number 2, no subordinated queues.
>
>If there is a job in "high" and in "low", but the low job was submitted by
>the user first, is the "high"-queue-job submitted before the "low"-queue-job
>is submitted because of the sequence number?

You can use the urgency policy to assign the high priority job a higher
priority.
In that case, the submission time has no influence.

>3. When i have more queues and i use a PE for booting LAM/MPI, must i make
>for every queue a own PE?

No. Each queue can contain multiple PEs.