[GE users] cygwin/windows

Mon Nov 28 15:13:10 GMT 2005

Scott,

The Cygwin port was before my time, but I'll tell you what I know.  Back
in the 5.3 days, an attempt was made to get SGE running on Cygwin.  I
believe it compiled but never ran completely correctly.  That was 5.3.
No work has been done to make 6.0 compile on Cygwin, and there's been a
*bunch* of new code added since 5.3.  Plus, I suspect that the SFU
Windows port (the one for money) obliterated the left-over Windows
#def's that the Cygwin port had introduced.  So, as far as I can tell,
there's no easy way to get 6.0 running on Cygwin.  Sorry. :(

Daniel

Scott Roland wrote On 11/23/05 23:09,:

> The last reference I found to cygwin on this list was about a year
> ago, so I'll bring it up again...
>
> It is my understanding that the Windows client of GridEngine is only
> available for money.
>
> It is also my understanding that Cygwin's GPL prevents anyone from
> distributing a Cygwin binary of GridEngine:
>
> http://gridengine.sunsource.net/servlets/ReadMsg?msgId=17426&listName=users
>

> Finally, it sounds like some people are running the open source
> GridEngine on Cygwin.
>
> If I want to get a free (beer) GridEngine client on Windows is my best
> bet still Cygwin? Where should I start?
>
> Is the latest Cygwin considered thread-safe enough to handle
> GridEngine 6.x?
>
> Will SunSource accept patches for getting GridEngine to compile under
> Windows?
>
> Thanks.
> --
> Scott Roland

*        Daniel Templeton   ERGB01 x60220         *
*       Staff Engineer, Sun N1 Grid Engine        *
* "So let the sunshine in.  Face it with a grin.  *
*  Smilers never lose, and frowners never win."   *
*      -Let the Sunshine In, Pebbles Flintstone   *