[GE users] cygwin/windows

Ron Chen ron_chen_123 at yahoo.com
Tue Nov 29 08:43:23 GMT 2005

(resending this mail due to list problem)

Yes, there are (or at least there were) people running SGE on
Windows -- without buying N1 GE -- by using Cygwin.

AFAIK, as long as the software is "opensource", then you can
distribute the binaries that linked against Cygwin libraries:
http://gridengine.sunsource.net/servlets/ReadMsg?list=users&msgNo=6070

If you plan to run qmaster on a Unix machine, then you don't
need to worry about threading. A Unix machine will give your
cluster better uptime and higher performance :)

To start, download the source, and modify the arch script (in
dist/util/) to return lx24-x86. Then start compiling SGE using
aimk. It should be straight forward since Cygwin provides a very
Linux like environment. And then modify arch.dist similarly
before running the install script.

 -Ron

http://gridengine.sunsource.net/servlets/ReadMsg?msgId=17426&listName=users

> Finally, it sounds like some people are running the open
> source GridEngine
> on Cygwin.
>
> If I want to get a free (beer) GridEngine client on Windows is
> my best bet
> still Cygwin? Where should I start?
>
> Is the latest Cygwin considered thread-safe enough to handle
> GridEngine 6.x?
>

> Will SunSource accept patches for getting GridEngine to
> compile under
> Windows?
>
> Thanks.
> --