[GE users] Fair Share Policy question

Stephan Grell - Sun Germany - SSG - Software Engineer stephan.grell at Sun.COM
Tue Nov 29 12:16:01 GMT 2005

Could you give us the input on your configuration?

What you describe is one of the possible setups. It could also be
configured to
do a mixure of the users....

Right now, we do not know enough to regard it as a bug.

Cheers,
Stephan

Yogesh Bhanu wrote:

> hi ,
>      I 'm not sure what I'm seeing is right .
> I have an SGE6u6 running on Opteron and Pentium cluster .
> I have implemented a very simple setup of two cluster wide queues each
> on both architecture .
> I 'm not sure if this is a bug or a feature or something wrong they
> way I have setup things up.
>
> I have some users who are competing for cluster resources. I thought
> SGE6 uses fair share system .
>
> In my case what happens is
> Say if a user A submits 100 of jobs and the user B submits say 10 jobs .
> Then all jobs from A have to finish before jobs from B start to run.
> Which is classical case of FIFO which is fine.
>
> Now the anomaly .
>
> I discovered today that when user B had submitted jobs in the morning ..
> these jobs  started to run even before the jobs submitted from user A
> yesterday .
>
> Also If I decide to enable  ticket based policy to enable fair share.
> How can I do define a default ticket value for all the users in the
> system.
>
> Any pointers will be of great help
>
> Thanks
> yogesh

Sun Microsystems GmbH           Stephan Grell
Dr. Leo-Ritter-Str. 7           Software Engineer
93054 Regensburg                Phone: (+49 941)3075 226
Germany                         Fax:   (+49 941)3075 222
http://www.sun.com/grid         mailto:stephan.grell at sun.com