[GE users] Fair Share Policy question

Chris Dagdigian dag at sonsorol.org
Tue Nov 29 14:05:20 GMT 2005

Hi Yogesh,

Unless you specifically configured SGE policies to enforce fair share
resource allocation, the default scheduling behavior is going to be
FIFO.

I'm not sure about the anomaly you discovered - there could be other
reasons besides scheduling behavior that would explain why user A's
jobs from yesterday have yet to be dispatched.  For instance, user A
could be requesting an impossible to fulfill resource or possibly
explicitly requesting a queue or queue instance that is busy or
overloaded.

Running "qstat -j <jobID>" on the pending jobs of user A may give you
more information about why they could not be placed in the last
scheduling cycle.

Your basic assumptions are correct -- SGE will do FIFO until you
explicitly configure different policies. Setting up fairshare is very
easy and you can do it via the SGE Sharetree or Functional Share
policies.

Regards,
Chris