[GE users] Configure Queues with different priorities

Reuti reuti at staff.uni-marburg.de
Tue Nov 29 23:23:17 GMT 2005

Am 29.11.2005 um 16:33 schrieb Sebastian:

> Hello Reuti,
>
> i think we like to do our scheduling like these:
>
> 1 Job per CPU   (defined at each host with slots=1)
> 4 Queues:
>
> jobtest  nice 0    sequence number 2
> high     nice 19   sequence number 2
> normal   nice 0    sequence number 0
> low      nice 0    sequence number 1
>
> Scheduler "Sort by sequence number"
>
> Now following should the scheduler do:
>
> If a job is submitted without a queue, he is put in the queue
> "normal".
> A Job submitted in jobtest should always be the fastet/with most cpu
> utilization.

This looks like an OpenPBS setup, where you submit to a queue. In SGE
you submit to the cluster, and SGE will select a suited queue for the
job to calculate in.

As Stephan pointed out, you can have just one queue in your case and
use the urgency policy. As as you prefer only one job per node, you
don't need to touch the nice values at all.

-- Reuti