[GE users] Philosophy of queue setup

Jean-Paul Minet minet at cism.ucl.ac.be
Wed Nov 30 12:36:54 GMT 2005

We have a cluster of 128 bi-proc nodes with 4 GB RAM each, and a couple of SMP
boxes (8 CPU, 32 GB RAM).  Users from several research entities will submit
sequential jobs as well as MPI and OpenMP jobs. We would like to setup SGE so that:

- sequential jobs requiring less than 4 Gb run on the bi-proc nodes, while jobs
requiring over 4 Gb run on one of the SMP boxes;
- parallel OpenMP jobs run on the SMP boxes (with a max of 8 slots per job);
- parallel MPI jobs run on the bi-proc nodes by default (with a max of 48
slots), but could be willingly directed by the users to the SMP boxes when
required (and if requesting less than the total number of CPUs of the SMP boxes).

I have setup an OMP parallel environment with 8 slots, as well as an mpich
parallel environment with 48 slots.  From there, I have no clear idea on how
best to structure the queues (and their attached PE) to get the desired
behavior.  Also, how to prevent job requiring *less* memory than a specified
amount to run on specific (SMP) hosts?

Any help will be appreciated

Rgds

Jean-Paul
--
Jean-Paul Minet
Gestionnaire CISM - Institut de Calcul Intensif et de Stockage de Masse