[GE users] SGE 6.0u7 - restriction in user-land of the amount of concurrent simulations for "me"

Peter Toft pto at linuxbog.dk
Mon Apr 3 22:34:11 BST 2006

Dear all

For SGE 6.0u7 I have a setup, where I can in qmon set the max amount of
concurrent running jobs per user, but can my users in a smart way either
A) Editing their .sgerequest file, or
B) Adding special arguments to the qsub command
to inpose further restrictions on the number of concurrent simulations?

I have users who know, that they can/will run for a looooong time, i.e.
they would like to - in user-land - restrict their simulations to only
occupy 10% of the CPU ressources, i.e. much lower than the much
default qmon-defines value.

I know that we could also define new queues, which only are defines in a
small fraction of the machines - but that will then mean that the fraction
for "loooong" simulations are fixed.

In general I can trust the judgement of the users.

Any clues?

Peter Toft, Ph.D. [pto at linuxbog.dk] http://pto.linux.dk

"First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win."
  --  Mahatma Gandhi