[GE users] Max jobs per project

Roland Dittel Roland.Dittel at Sun.COM
Fri Apr 7 14:40:26 BST 2006

Hi Alan,

Alan Miller wrote:
> Thanks Stephen.
> So what release is "max jobs per project" targeted for?

The target is the next major release of SGE.

> Can I read the RFE somewhere?

Currently I'm finishing the overall design. My plan is to release the
current status of the specification in the beginning of the next week.
When it's available I will post the link to the document on
dev at gridengine.sunsource.net.

Regards
Roland

> As for possible workarounds, could I do this via a prolog script?
>
> The idea is this.
> I would use a separate queue instead of a batch-high project.
> At the queue level I'd configure a prolog script to call some
> code (perl,C,..) that would just do a qstat and return true or false
> depending on how many jobs the user currently has running in the queue.
>
> Alan
>

>>there might be a dirty work around, but nothing practical. It is already filed
>>as RFE and it is on our list for the next release...
>>
>>Cheers,
>>Stephan
>>

>>>Alan Miller wrote:
>>>
>>>I'm looking for a way to limit the number of jobs
>>
>>a user can have on a per project basis.
>>

>>>All hosts have just one queue instance: q at hostname
>>>A user should be limited to 4 "batch-high" jobs.  "batch-normal" jobs
>>>are unlimited and should run on  the team's private hostgroup (if
>>>possible. If not the  a host in the communal pool should be used.
>>>
>>> Group A:
>>>    Access:  only to users in userlist A
>>>    Project: batch-high,batch-normal
>>>    Seq_no:  1000
>>> Group B:
>>>    Access:  only to users in userlist B
>>>    Project: batch-high,batch-normal
>>>    Seq_no:  1000
>>> Group C: accessible to all users
>>>    Access:  all users
>>>    Project: batch-normal
>>>    Seq_no:  100

Roland Dittel               Tel: +49 (0)941 3075-275 (x60275)
Software Engineering        Fax: +49 (0)941 3075-222 (x60222)
Sun Microsystems GmbH
Dr.-Leo-Ritter-Str. 7       mailto:roland.dittel at sun.com
D-93049 Regensburg          http://www.sun.com/gridware