[GE users] Queue configuration question.

Baudilio Tejerina tejerina at chem.northwestern.edu
Mon Apr 10 21:44:09 BST 2006

Hi,

On Apr 10, 2006, at 2:12 PM, Reuti wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Am 10.04.2006 um 19:08 schrieb Baudilio Tejerina:
>
>> Hi.
>>
>> In a clusters composed by single- and dual-processors machines, I
>> have defined queues associated with each individual computer so
>> that 'hostlist' contains just the name of machine (not a group)
>> and the 'slots' contains the number of CPUs that machine may
>> provide. For instance:
>>
>> qconf -sq buckyball
>>
>> qname                 buckyball
>> hostlist                 buckyball
>> seq_no                0
>> slots                 1,[buckyball=2]
>>
>> Likewise, if the machine has a single CPU
>>
>> slots                 1,[zinc=1]
>>

>> It happens that if I submit a job requesting 2 CPUs, GE allocates
>> one from "buckyball" and the other from "zinc".
>>

> this is the intended behavior. You can:
>
> a) define one PE for each queue with similar names and request the
> PE with a wildcard
>
> b) use allocation rule $pe_slots, this way you could still stay
> with one queue for all machines, as all slots have to be on one
> machine
>

>> How can I have the job be allocated in a machine with two
>> processors and never in the way it is now?
>> Related to this, I'd like to configure the queues so that if a
>> user requests more that 2 CPUs, the job gets always rejected.
>>

> What is the definition of your PE now? Maybe you need a second PS
> with a different allocation rule.

I only have one PE defined, 'make', as follows:

pe_name           make
slots             999
user_lists        NONE
xuser_lists       NONE
start_proc_args   NONE
stop_proc_args    NONE
allocation_rule   $round_robin
control_slaves    TRUE
job_is_first_task FALSE
urgency_slots     min

The option b) you point out seems more general  than a), doesn't it?
So, should I modify 'make' by substituting $round_robin by $pe_slots
or create a new PE with that allocation rule in it?

Thanks Reuti.

Baudilio