[GE users] Stock SGE breaks stock CentOS PHP

Christopher Dwan cdwan at bioteam.net
Tue Apr 18 20:51:48 BST 2006

Just had a fun little error that took some thinking to diagnose.

I'm building a cluster with CentOS 4.  I had the portal built, and
the time came to install SGE.  I did the SGE install using courtesy
binaries (sge-6.0u7_1-bin-lx24-amd64.tar.gz), which worked
perfectly.  I then moved on with configuring other parts of the
system.  Later on, I restarted the web server, only to see this error:

[root at bioteam sge]# apachectl graceful
apachectl: Configuration syntax error, will not run "graceful":
Syntax error on line 6 of /etc/httpd/conf.d/php.conf:
Cannot load /etc/httpd/modules/libphp4.so into server: /etc/httpd/
modules/libphp4.so: undefined symbol: db_create

After wasting a bit of time chasing RPM versions, PHP libraries,
berkeleydb libraries and the like, the solution was to remove the
some of the library files that come with SGE:

[root at bioteam sge]# rm lib/lx24-amd64/libdb-4.2.so
rm: remove regular file `lib/lx24-amd64/libdb-4.2.so'? y
[root at bioteam sge]# apachectl graceful
httpd not running, trying to start
[root at bioteam sge]#

FYI.

-Chris Dwan