[GE users] Is it possible to autoinstall the sge qmaster?

Chris Dagdigian dag at sonsorol.org
Wed Apr 26 12:23:17 BST 2006

There is a script called "inst_sge" in $SGE_ROOT that will automate a
template-driven install.

  ./inst_sge -m -auto /path/to/template.txt -- install the sge master
  ./inst_sge -x -auto /path/to/template.txt -- install the sge execd

This page has some additional info:

http://docs.sun.com/app/docs/doc/817-6118/6mlhe9adi?a=view

The auto installation process is sometimes difficult. SGE is
*extremely* sensitive to things like hostnames and forward/reverse
DNS resolution. In addition, the template driven install does not
generally provide much information about why it does not work (check
the log in /tmp/ for info when it fails).  Once you get a  known good
template written the process is pretty smooth but creating that
template in the first place is a trial-and-error sort of thing. Also
the inst_sge script assumes that some sort of passwordless RSH/SSH
login mechanism is in place.

Regards,
Chris