[GE users] SGE 6.0u7 Installation error

Chris Dagdigian dag at sonsorol.org
Wed Apr 26 22:29:42 BST 2006

On Apr 26, 2006, at 5:20 PM, Richard Ems wrote:

> Can this also be "corrected" in host_aliases? How? Does SGE a kind of
> "sort -n" of the IP-Addresses or were does it get the order from in
> "Host Address(es)"?

When Grid Engine daemons first start up, it seems that one of their
first actions involves reading $SGE_ROOT/$SGE_CELL/common/act_qmaster
to learn the hostname of the acting qmaster node. That is the
hostname they use when trying to make TCP connections.

My experience has been that as long as you know what is in
'act_qmaster', you usually only have to make a single entry in
host_aliases to 'train' SGE which network route or IP address to use.

Of course, when sge_qmaster starts, it immediately writes to
'act_qmaster' so changing hostnames or the order of entries in /etc/
hosts will have an effect.

-Chris