[GE users] User priority

Chris Dagdigian dag at sonsorol.org
Thu Apr 27 12:00:52 BST 2006

Hi Massimo,

Sounds like you want what Grid Engine calls a "fairshare by user"
resource allocation policy.

There are a couple of posts on setting up simple fairshare policies
here:

http://gridengine.info/articles/category/resource-allocation

And the formal N1 docs (which have chapters on policy configuration)
are here:

http://docs.sun.com/app/docs/coll/1017.3

The difference between Functional Share and ShareTree is that
Sharetree will look at past usage and possibly penalize users to give
less-active users a temporary boost of additional entitlements. The
functional share policy does the same thing but does not care about
past windows of time -- it just tries to enforce its policy
configuration (equal other otherwise) during each scheduling run.

The main issue you will have is the "long jobs should be suspended"
behavior.  Generally speaking, Grid Engine enforces its policies by
manipulating the order of the pending job list. By default, it will
never mess with or touch any sort of running or active job. You will
need to configure suspend behaviors yourself if you want this --
there are a number of ways you can do this as SGE provides hooks for
this as well as various triggers and thresholds that can be used to
send suspend signals.

Regards,
Chris