[GE users] Max jobs per project

Alan Miller Alan.Miller at synopsys.com
Fri Apr 28 18:30:04 BST 2006

Until this feature is available we've opted for th following workaround
which we are testing on one cell at the moment.

1. Since I don't have that many users I setup a consumable for each user:
   #name         shortcut type relop requestable consumable default  urgency
   amiller_bhigh amiller  INT  <=    YES         YES        0        0

2. Then I set a limit of 4 for each user.
   qconf -aattr exechost complex_values 'amiller_bhigh=4' global

3. That allows only 4 jobs to run at a time, the 5th, 6th ... remain queued wating.
   But since my users want the overflow jobs (5th,6th,...) to be forced to the
   bnormal project I've written a perl wrapper for qsub that
     a. gaurentees the bhigh jobs gets submitted with "-l <user>_bhigh=1"
     b. forces the overflow jobs to the bnormal project.

   If anyone sees a problem with this conceptually, I'd appreciate your feedback.

   E.g.:

    [amiller at host]  qsubber -P bhigh -l amiller_bhigh=1,amd64=0 -N high1 testjob
    Your job 1624242 ("high1") has been submitted.
    [amiller at host]  qsubber -P bhigh -l amiller_bhigh=1,amd64=0 -N high2 testjob
    Your job 1624243 ("high2") has been submitted.
    [amiller at host]  qsubber -P bhigh -l amiller_bhigh=1,amd64=0 -N high3 testjob
    Your job 1624244 ("high3") has been submitted.
    [amiller at host]  qsubber -P bhigh -l amiller_bhigh=1,amd64=0 -N high4 testjob
    Your job 1624245 ("high4") has been submitted.
    [amiller at host]  qsubber -P bhigh -l amiller_bhigh=1,amd64=0 -N high5 testjob
    Max bhigh jobs reached (4 >= 4).
    Forcing this job to bnormal instead of bhigh
    Your job 1624246 ("high5") has been submitted.

    [amiller at host]  qstat -j 1624242,1624243,1624244,1624245,1624246 |grep ^project
    project:                    bhigh
    project:                    bhigh
    project:                    bhigh
    project:                    bhigh