[GE users] Strange qstat -g c -ext Vs qstat -qs E

Sean Dilda sean at duke.edu
Fri Aug 4 19:07:59 BST 2006

Amit H Kumar wrote:

> Still I want to answer a basic question:
>       How do I tell if the error was due to a job only. if it is possible.

As far as I know, the only way a queue will go into error state is due
to a job failure.   When a job fails, SGE looks at why.  For certain
failure reasons, SGE will assume that the job is at fault, and put the
job in error state.  For certain other reasons, it will assume there's
something wrong with the queue/host and put the queue in error state.
Unfortunately, its not always correct in its logic.  Then again, its
impossible for SGE to always be right  (if it can't access the working
directory for a job, it might be because the node is missing an NFS
mount point, or it might be because the job requested a working
directory that doesn't exist).