[GE users] Automated installation

V01D phreakuencies at gmail.com
Sat Aug 5 19:38:19 BST 2006

Well, after reading through a thousand scripts from SGE, I found the
fundamental snippet: the part where it installs the execution host.
I noticed it does qconf -ah <exechostname> and then SSHs to the
exec-host and does:
* execute settings.sh
* ./inst_sge -x -noremote -auto <file-used-to-install-master>

So now I'm narrowing down my doubts:
it seems that it is somehow assumed (but it's never explicitly affirmed
or denied in the documentation) that an execution host should have gone
through the install process of qmaster (in other words ./inst_sge -m
-noremote -auto <conf-file> or something like that) before being able to
install it as an exec host. This is because settings.sh and similar
files don't exist until after the ./inst_sge script is run.
So my question is: do I have to install the exec host as a master just
to get the necessary files created so I can actually install it as a
execution host? It seems a bit weird too me.

I'm sure that the problem is that these files are not there, because if
I I don't run the installation on the exec host with -auto, it ends up
saying: "Obviously there was no qmaster installation for this cell yet"
(which is far from obvious).

If anyone can help me with this, It will be much appreciated.
Thanks,
Matt.