[GE users] Automated installation

Sean Dilda sean at duke.edu
Mon Aug 7 16:34:40 BST 2006

V01D wrote:
> Hi,
> I'm starting a project called ArchCluster. The idea is to be able to use
> the ArchLinux distribution on Cluster environments (like RocksClusters).
> I'm trying to create a package for GridEngine.
>
> My idea is that I should create two packages (one for the nodes and one
> for the master host). Therefore, when the package gets installed on the
> master node the inst_sge command gets run (with -noremote and no hosts
> listed on the .conf file). Then, on the nodes, my idea was to do
> something similar.
>
> I was expecting that I could use inst_sge on a node and put on the
> command line or config file the name of the master host so it would
> contact it and add it as a new host and queue. I can't find any
> parameter/variable to do this.
>
> How could I install GridEngine on the nodes like this? I can't install
> the master host and nodes at the same time because nodes are not there
> yet. In other words, master doesn't know about nodes when it gets
> installed, and nodes, at most, know the name of the master when they get
> kickstarted (ie: automated installation of the Linux distribution).

I ended up making an 'sge' rpm that works for both.  You use 'chkconfig'
and 'service' to start the right daemons.   The %build script of my rpm
build does the inst_sge stuff (after commenting out some bits. like
where it starts up daemons).  Then when the package is installed, I
don't need to run anything like that.

However, I do have to script my kickstart so that after the package is
installed, I rm -rf the common directory and replace it with a symlink
into NFS.