[GE users] SGE in dynamic IP

Rayson Ho rayrayson at gmail.com
Tue Aug 8 04:54:03 BST 2006

Just jumping into this thread... One quick question: did you install
SGE on your nodes??

SGE only needs the hostname. It does not care the IP address of the
execution hosts (SGE resolves the hostname automatically). However,
the commlib layer caches the hostname resolution results -- but the
results do get retire periodically.

Since DHCP will assign new IP addresses to your execution hosts when
they get rebooted, the TCP session between the host and qmaster will
get reseted... may be this can trigger the commlib to dump the
resolution result??

SGE 5.3 did not have the current commlib layer, but commd handles the
daemon-daemon communications:

http://gridengine.sunsource.net/source/browse/*checkout*/gridengine/source/daemons/commd/commd.html
In order to minimize resolving activities, commd holds a list of known
hosts. Resolving is a relative expensive operation if it has to be
done via network. This causes a problem if the resolving tables are
changed while commd is running. Commd tries to refresh its host list
on a regular basis. Nevertheless it may take a while that changes take
ect. This can not be avoided due to the fact, that some resolver
libraries cache resolving information. One have to take 10 minutes
into account. A newly started commd of course gets the actual
information. The automatical refreshing can be disabled by the "-dhr"
switch.

May be Christian can explain how the resolution caching works in the
commlib in SGE 6.0...

Rayson