[GE users] Automated installation

V01D phreakuencies at gmail.com
Tue Aug 8 20:51:20 BST 2006

Sean Dilda wrote:
> V01D wrote:
>> Hi,
>> I'm starting a project called ArchCluster. The idea is to be able to
>> use the ArchLinux distribution on Cluster environments (like
>> RocksClusters). I'm trying to create a package for GridEngine.
>>
>> My idea is that I should create two packages (one for the nodes and
>> one for the master host). Therefore, when the package gets installed
>> on the master node the inst_sge command gets run (with -noremote and
>> no hosts listed on the .conf file). Then, on the nodes, my idea was to
>> do something similar.
>>
>> I was expecting that I could use inst_sge on a node and put on the
>> command line or config file the name of the master host so it would
>> contact it and add it as a new host and queue. I can't find any
>> parameter/variable to do this.
>>
>> How could I install GridEngine on the nodes like this? I can't install
>> the master host and nodes at the same time because nodes are not there
>> yet. In other words, master doesn't know about nodes when it gets
>> installed, and nodes, at most, know the name of the master when they
>> get kickstarted (ie: automated installation of the Linux distribution).
>
> I ended up making an 'sge' rpm that works for both.  You use 'chkconfig'
> and 'service' to start the right daemons.   The %build script of my rpm
> build does the inst_sge stuff (after commenting out some bits. like
> where it starts up daemons).  Then when the package is installed, I
> don't need to run anything like that.
>
> However, I do have to script my kickstart so that after the package is
> installed, I rm -rf the common directory and replace it with a symlink
> into NFS.

thanks for the information. I was running inst_sge as a package
postinstall script. Now that you are telling me this I will put it on
the build stage (I thought that I couldn't do this).

BTW, is 'qconf -ah' (on the frontend) the only thing necessary to add
the corresponding node? Any other thing like adding it as an execution
host? Does that create the queue and the host?

Thanks,
Matt.