[GE users] Node exclusion by users

Iwona Sakrejda isakrejda at lbl.gov
Tue Aug 8 21:05:36 BST 2006

Reuti wrote:

> Am 07.08.2006 um 18:44 schrieb Iwona Sakrejda:

>> Is it possible for a user to stop his jobs from running
>> on a few nodes? Sometimes nodes break down in a way that
>> is not easy to detect by monitoring. And if jobs flush through
>> a node it's not always a problem with the node, most often
>> a poorly constructed job. I would like to give users an
>> option during weekends or evenings when support is not
>> staffed to declare - "I don't want to run on the following nodes".
>

> the user can specify all the queue instances with -q
> serial at node01,serial at node02
with ~300 nodes available and only one or two to exclude,
that might be tedious, but doable. Is there a limit on the length
of that argument?

> or submit to a complete queue domain, if you setup hostgroups before
> for some of the machines,
so can I do:
serial at myhostgroup1,serial at myhostgroup2,serial at node08,serial at node09
I mean is mixing host groups and hosts allowed?

> which are  available at the weekend.
This is part of the problem. I do not want to exculde any
nodes a priori. I only want users to have a chance
to avoid nodes they think are bad for them....

Thanks for suggestions,

Iwona

This is of course where to run the job, as