[GE users] SGE in dynamic IP

Reuti reuti at staff.uni-marburg.de
Wed Aug 9 11:07:10 BST 2006

Am 09.08.2006 um 08:41 schrieb Nano Surbakti:

> On 8/8/06, Reuti <reuti at staff.uni-marburg.de> wrote:
>> You will have to use NFS to share the /home of the users to all the
>> nodes. And also the user information, maybe with NIS or LDAP, from a
>> central server to have a unique namespace.
>>
>> > The scenario is like this:
>> > - I add a script that will be run by dhcp agent to update its /etc/
>> > hosts file based on the new IP given by DHCP server
>> > - another script will run to notify the master host about its
>> new IP
>> > - a script on the master will update its /etc/hosts file
>>
>> But with a changing /etc/hosts file, also the NFS server will have to
>> be restarted or at least reloaded. And most likely you will lose any
>> open files...
>
> I think the use of NFS is optional, right? If I decide not to use NFS,
> can the scenario work well?

Well, although SGE will live without NFS on its own, the idea is to
share the /home and to have a common userspace with the same UIDs on
all nodes in the default installation. If you don't have it, then you
will need some file staging on your own in a prolog/epilog:

http://gridengine.sunsource.net/howto/filestaging/filestaging6.html