[GE users] Balancing Jobs With Same User/Project

Chris Dagdigian dag at sonsorol.org
Fri Aug 11 11:06:01 BST 2006

Hi Richard,

What you want is "fairshare" scheduling on a Project membership
basis. You can do this either with a Functional or ShareTree resource
allocation policy - the key point being that whatever policy you use,
each member of a project gets the same relative entitlement -- this
is what makes the scheduler treat them all fairly.

There are some articles that may be of interest here:
http://gridengine.info/articles/category/resource-allocation

And you will want to review the resource allocation documentation
sections in the official N1GE documentation set:
http://docs.sun.com/app/docs/coll/1017.3?q=n1ge

Note that it is extremely simple to set up a "all users are equal"
fairshare if you don't really care about carving up the cluster by
department or project affiliation.

-Chris