[GE users] can't set ulimit during batch jobs

Mike Packard mpackard at oci.unizh.ch
Fri Aug 11 14:29:37 BST 2006

Good Afternoon,

I am using x86 SLES9 + 6.0u7.  My problem is that I am unable to set ulimits on
the exec nodes during a batch job.  I am able to interactively login to the
machine and set ulimit -n 10000, so I know I have permission there, but if I try
this in a batch script I get the old "cannot modify limit: Operation not
permitted".  I included some samples below.  This is all happening on one node.

Thanks for any help you can offer,
mike

---

Setting the limit works in an interactive job:

$ qrsh -q 01.q
$ ulimit -n 10000
$ ulimit -n
10000

---

But then I submit a batch job:

$ cat testjob
#!/bin/bash
#$ -cwd
#$ -j y
#$ -S /bin/bash
#$ -q 01.q
ulimit -n 10000
ulimit -n

Output:

$ cat testjob.o1728
/opt/gridengine/default/spool/ocikbsr01/job_scripts/1728: line 6: ulimit: open files: cannot modify limit: Operation not permitted
1024