[GE users] Interactive and batch queue preemting eachother

Bevan C. Bennett bevan at fulcrummicro.com
Fri Aug 11 22:01:42 BST 2006

Shruti Iyengar wrote:
> H i,
> We need to know if there is a way to configure SGE env to achieve
> following scenario ?
>
> For example, we have 5 hosts, each with 2 queues. One queue accepts
> batch jobs while others accepts interactive jobs.
>
> What we want is, if system is idle, it should be able to accept either
> kind of job.
>
> But once, it accepts interactive job, it should only accept interactive
> jobs and batch q on the host should be inactive (no suspension) until
> hosts gets freed up of all pending interactive jobs on the host.
>
> Only when the system is idle once again, it is ok to accept either job.
> If batch job gets submitted first, then same behaviour i.e. it becomes
> batch machine and only accepts batch jobs until it gets idle to accept
> both kinds.
>
> We don't want any suspension of jobs to happen,
>
> Pls suggest how it can be implemented.
>
> Thanks,
> Shruti

This is pretty straightforward, actually.
Queue 1: batch.q
slots: N
subordinates: interactive.q (max slots 1)

Queue 2: interactive.q
slots: N
subordinates: batch.q (max slots 1)

As soon as one job is submitted to a host instance of batch.q, the interactive.q
on that host is subordinated (disabled), and vice versa.