[GE users] simple high/low priority configuration?

Sean Dilda sean at duke.edu
Wed Aug 23 19:15:31 BST 2006

Ralf W. Grosse-Kunstleve wrote:
> I'd like to configure a simple pair of high/low priority queues for a small
> cluster of four machines:
>
>   qsub job # should go to low.q, never to high.q
>   qsub -q high.q job # only way to submit to high.q
>
> If all CPUs are in use only high.q jobs should get dispatched.
>
> I think/hope I am quite close already: I cloned the default all.q as low.q and
> high.q (and removed all.q), and made low.q a subordinate of high.q. The problem
> is that "qsub job" submits to both queues, not just low.q as I'd like. What is
> the best way to fix this?

Here's my preferred fix:
http://gridengine.info/articles/2006/06/26/creating-a-dedicated-short-queue

Instead of 'short' I'd create a 'high' complex that's used to submit
jobs to high priority queues.  Then all other jobs would go to the low
priority queue.  That's how I have thing setup on my cluster.