[GE users] Privacy in SGE

Reuti reuti at staff.uni-marburg.de
Fri Aug 25 21:42:21 BST 2006

Hi,

Am 25.08.2006 um 04:09 schrieb Chris MacPhee:

> Hey folks:
>
> By default, any user can query the job status of any other user via
> SGE
> tools.  This presents a privacy risk - a user can determine the email
> address (and other info) of another.  This is also true of the cell's
> spool directory - any user can investigate job scripts.
>
> Has anyone attempted to firm up the privacy of SGE, such that commands
> will only provide information to the job owner?  Or played with
> permissions within the cell spool directory.

one idea I just had to hide the jobscripts completely was to encrypt
them by the public ssh-key of each user before the job is submitted.
Then it might be possible to use a special starter_method in SGE, to
decrypt them again with the private key of the user before executing
them.

Same for the eMail address: encrypt them and configure a special
mailer to decrypt and send the mail.