[GE users] posix priority ignored?

Karl Friedrich Walkow karl at walkow.de
Mon Aug 28 11:29:32 BST 2006

Dear All,

we run a small cluster that is used by a very small group of (power-)users.

The sge installation (version 6.0u8) works really fine, but we still
have a problem with the job ordering. For us the most simple, obvious
solution might be to use posix priorities to determine the order of jobs
in the queue.

The problem now is, that qsub seems to ignore the specified value from
the -p option. If I call

qsub -p 100 simple_job.sh
qsub -p 200 simple_job.sh
qsub -p 50 simple_job.sh

the job are sorted in FIFO-order and

qstat -pri

shows just 0 in the ppri column.

Did I understand something wrong on the usage of the -p option?

Do I have to change something in the sge configuration (As far as I
understood from the docs, this should not be the case...) ?

Much thanks for advice an best regards,

Karl F. Walkow