[GE users] Dynamic queue -- sge schedule policy

Reuti reuti at staff.uni-marburg.de
Mon Aug 28 17:55:02 BST 2006

Am 28.08.2006 um 17:58 schrieb John Tseng:

> On Monday 28 August 2006 00:35, Juha Jäykkä wrote:
>
>>> In this context, a qsub would like this.
>>> qsub -q mem4G.q -soft -l mem4g=1 -hard  myscript
>>
>> This seems rather complicated - especially for the end user who never
>> remembers the proper qsub parameters anyway. =)
>
> We have a wrapper around qsub which 'remembers' all the relevant
> qsub options.
> This gives you a layer of abstraction to play with various sge
> options.
>
> my_qsub -jobtype mem4G myscript
> ==> qsub -q mem4G.q -soft -l mem4g=1 -hard  myscript
>
> The 'jobtype' gets expanded to the qsub options which can change
> from day-to-day.

besides a qsub-wrapper, you could define some default settings in the
default sge-request: man sge_request

>> Is there not an easier way? Reuti suggested a simpler solution,
>> but I'm
>> afraid of what happens if we go from sorting by load to sorting by
>> seq_no.
>
> You can adjust the scheduler load_formula to take this sequence
> number into account
>
> qconf -ssconf:
> load_formula                      np_load_avg
>
> becomes
> load_formula                      np_load_avg+seq_no

This is an interesting approach, but I would prefer setting it in the
standard way of:

queue_sort_method  seqno

in the scheduler. Inside the pool of machines with the same sequence
number, the load is still used.