[GE users] X11 Forwarding with qrsh

SLIM H.A. h.a.slim at durham.ac.uk
Mon Aug 28 18:01:32 BST 2006

Dear Reuti

I followed the advice given here and in several previous emails and modified/added
the names for the rlogin and rsh daemons/commands in the global configuration file as follows:

qlogin_command               telnet
qlogin_daemon                /usr/sbin/in.telnetd
rlogin_daemon                /usr/sbin/sshd -i
rlogin_command               /usr/bin/ssh -Y
rsh_daemon                   /usr/sbin/sshd -i
rsh_command                  /usr/bin/ssh

On our system this has the following effects:
1) If I login to a node, the X11 forwarding does not work

ssh node1
... logged in to node1
... check DISPLAY on node1
echo $DISPLAY
DISPLAY: Undefined variable.

All requirements for X11 forwarding seem to be met, yet it does not happen.
What changes have to be made further?

2) However, the same node is also a host in the qrsh queue and

qrsh -q qrsh.q at node1

also logs on to that node but now X11 forwarding _does_ work:
... check DISPLAY on node1
echo $DISPLAY
localhost:10.0

and windowing applications work fine.

3) Parallel batch jobs on the system now have warnings in the stderr files, of the type

"Disconnecting: Bad packet length 619082811."

where the value of the integer varies.

The number of warnings seem to be one less than the number of requested slots,
which is consistent with its absence for serial jobs.
The jobs that I investigated are mpich jobs, could this warning have to do with
tight integration?

Thanks for your help

Henk