[GE users] Dynamic queue -- sge schedule policy

Reuti reuti at staff.uni-marburg.de
Mon Aug 28 23:06:10 BST 2006

Am 28.08.2006 um 23:02 schrieb Juha Jäykkä:

>> in the scheduler. Inside the pool of machines with the same sequence
>> number, the load is still used.
>
> This is excellent! It is perfect for us, and it's even the simplest
> way.
>
> I have another question, though. Suppose I have (cluster) queue
> spanning
> ten hosts; the hosts have all h_vmem=1G and the queue has
> h_vmem=4G. What
> happens if I submit 5 jobs with h_vmem=1G? From the manual pages of
> complex and queue_conf, I get the impression that the queue limit
> limits
> the amount of h_vmem in *the whole* queue, thus making it
> impossible to
> consume more than 4G of memory in the queue although in my example
> this
> would mean there are 6 hosts doing nothing. Is this correct? I can not
> believe it is, but that's how I understand the manual anyway.

there are two issues:

1) The complex values are for each queue instance. They are not
global for the whole cluster queue.

2) By default h_vmem is not consumable. This must be switched on in
the complex definition (if you are looking for this feature). Then of
course each host definition should get 4G.