[GE users] Privacy in SGE

Iwona Sakrejda isakrejda at lbl.gov
Tue Aug 29 04:49:00 BST 2006

Hi,

>> If those changes are implemented, please remember that lots of  users
>> work in groups and it is essential for them to have access to group
>> workload.  I am actually facing an oposite issue. How users could
>> modify/ delete jobs started by other users in the same group.

> Well, you could make some of them an operator in SGE (qconf -ao  <user>)
> with limited access to SGE's configuration options, but then  they could
> also delete jobs of other groups. - Reuti

I rememer once looking into this option but the manual says:

#
Managers. Managers have full capabilities to manipulate the
grid engine system.
#
Operators. Operators can perform many of the same commands as managers,
except that operators cannot add, delete, or modify queues.

Well, that is WAY too much. I do trust them but it's so easy to make
an honest mistake I do not want to mop up after....

Anyway if you ever considered any granularity in priviledges,
groups would be a natural way to go. For example "a group operator
- has full power over group jobs...."

Just a suggestion....

Iwona