[GE users] Defining priority of hosts

Bisbal, Prentice PBisbal at LexPharma.com
Tue Aug 29 22:09:38 BST 2006

Greetings, everyone.

I'm a GridEngine newbie, so please forgive me if this is a simple/dumb
question. I searched through the docs, and couldn't find an answer
there. I could have been using the wrong terminology in my searches.

I'm not sure if "priority" is the correct term in GridEngine parlance.
Here's what I'm trying to do: My execution hosts are a mixture of
different systems, from old SGIs to new multi-core, multi-processor
Opterons. All systems are in the same queue. When jobs are submitted,
I'd like them to be assigned to the fasted idle computer available,
instead of randomly assigned or round-robbined.

For example, if host A has 4 processors. Host B has 8 processors, but
those processors are only 1/2 as fast as host A. If I submit 5 jobs, I
want all 4 processors of  host A filled before jobs are assigned to host
B.

What is the best way to do this?

Prentice

The contents of this communication, including any attachments, may be confidential, privileged or otherwise protected from disclosure.  They are intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed.  If you are not the intended recipient, please do not read, copy, use or disclose the contents of this communication.  Please notify the sender immediately and delete the communication in its entirety.